Sunday, November 30, 2008

Loss

I am filled with hope and fear. Two contradictory emotions. But that's my life right now. There is a song that I have been listening to a lot lately. "There's a light up ahead." by Further seems forever. The title is really self explanatory. I like the acoustic version, it just aches with longing. You see right now I don't know if there is a light up ahead. So it's nice to hear people say that there is. I listen to the song at night as I walk and I imagine emerging from the darkness into some glorious light. I can only dream what it would be like.

There was one time in my life when I was happy. It was wonderful. However the circumstances that created that situation are unrecreatable. So the happiness that I once had now only exists in my memory where it haunts me. It is that which I once had but I am now without. It seems almost cruel that I was ever allowed happiness, because now I know what I'm missing. Before I remembered thinking that I wasn't that depressed. It seemed that while, yes I was sad, I wasn't that much worse off than anyone else. Then I got to see how the other side lived. It wasn't all kicks and giggles, it had it's hard times. But it was bliss compared to life before.

And now it is gone.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I think hope is the most important thing, losing it is incredibly dangerous. I think if you have hope you can carry on through anything. Unfortunately I seem to have lost all hope recently, and I'm not sure how to get it back.

something more than ordinary said...

I think part of having hope comes down to choosing. You choose to have hope. But I also know what if feels like have your choices taken away from you. Hope is a tricky thing. For hundreds of years the brightest minds in the world have grappled with abstract issues like hope. Their still trying to figure it all out. Everyone has to find their own answers in life. We can help each other but ultimately the choices we make are our own. I hope for a better day. I hope to be free of depression. I hope for happiness for myself and everyone around me. As long as I believe in the chance of those things becoming reality I have hope.