Tuesday, November 4, 2008

If Buddha can't help, who can?

So in Patrick Rothfuss' blog today he spoke about a Buddhist teaching that initially seemed very very appealing to me.

He said "One of the foundation stones of Buddhist philosophy is" "that desire leads to suffering.

"For example: You see a kid at the grocery store. He wants a candy bar. His mom says no. Result? Suffering. He pitches a fit. Similarly, when I was in my early twenties, I spent a long time desiring various types of romance, and because none was forthcoming, suffering ensued. Much suffering.

"It's simple. The more things you desire, the greater your potential for suffering. It's basic math. And when you stop to think about it, the solution is obvious. If you want less suffering in your life, you simply have to reduce your desires. You need to let go of things." -Patrick Rothfuss

And for about ten minutes I felt better about the world. I tried to unshackle myself from all my desires. It was quite liberating. But then I started thinking. Even if I could get myself to stop wanting things, that fact alone would not make my life any better.

You have failed me once again Buddha and Patrick.

No comments: