Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Conversational Hijacking

I have a person in my life who I have on recent occasion began to talk to. I talk about things that are going on in my life. Then the conversation takes a sudden turn away from me.

An example:
ME: So things are really hard right now. I'm struggling with work, and life and..
OTHER PERSON: Yeah things are tough. I know what you mean. Like for me I'm having a really tough time with things. But what's great is that I'm working a little more, putting in that extra bit of effort. That way I have a bit more money. I've had to buckle down more but it will totally be worth it for me.

Now this may not sound to bad. Except this is how every single conversation goes. I try to talk about some of my stuff, then this person hijacks the conversation. He/she turns it around so that their just talking about themselves. Now I don't need to constantly be talking about myself. But from time to time I'd like to have a conversation that revolved around me. Am I wrong in this?

1 comment:

Katie said...

I definitely know the feeling with this. I think it's very rare to find a person who will actually listen to you properly when you need them to.